We finally had our summer vacation – a week in a shack on a pond in the White Mountains.
My knee is still mostly out of commission, so I planned accordingly and packed several knitting and sewing projects along with bathing suits and sun wear to occupy my time while N was on the peaks.
What I hadn’t really planned was it ended up being cold as [insert favorite anaolgy here].
The forecast called for cool nighttime temps, so at the last minute, I luckily (and brilliantly I might say) packed our down duvet and one of our down bags along with that trickster ball of handspun* I just finished in case I wanted to whip something up out of it.
I quickly determined to make a hat since I neglected to pack one, and needed to wear one immediately.
(I wound the skein into a ball on the way up which didn’t induce as much car-sickness as I thought it would).
I also had a few basic patterns with me just in case, and I loosely based it on the Purl Beret, but with a much smaller/tighter brim.
I finished it on the second day after hours of otter watching.
There were also many murderous birds – a greedy heron, harriers that picked off the sweet warblers in the marsh grasses, kingfishers bombing around the dock, and less successful eagles and ospreys.
We even saw a moose – I’ve been patiently waiting to spy one of those for some time now.
I’m a little embarrassed to show the hat in its very wonky unblocked state, but the cool misty weather made the colors pop.
And the yarn was cooperative this time, though it had the last laugh by leaving me with an orange nipple on the top.
The hat could have been a little larger, but I was afraid of running out of yarn and I figured it would stretch since it’s superwash.
And after a month of physical therapy, I can at least ride a bike again (though not really uphill). So we enjoyed a few pretty awesome and underutilized bike/recreational paths, as well as tooled around the pond in a canoe.
I worked on another long-suffering knitting project that is nearly on its home stretch, though I wasted a few days when I messed it up and had to undo and redo, so I will say no more about it until it’s done.
And I never got to the sewing project or casting on for a new pair of socks that I though were must-dos for the week…
We really needed another week…
*There’s still enough left for a few token stripes on a pair of socks, and that little 2ply skein remains untouched.